We have exciting news to announce for all of our students interested in Garden Design. The BBC has just launched a brand new competition entitled; Designs on Chelsea, in conjunction with the Royal Horticultural Society. This is a totally new concept for the BBC and will see contestants put through their paces and set different garden design tasks to complete.
This competition is aimed at amateur garden designers and is ideal for those currently studying or recently qualified from our Diploma in Garden Design or FdA/BA(Hons) Design for Outdoor Living degree. The BBC is offering one lucky winner the chance to win the ultimate prize in garden design; the opportunity to attend the RHS Chelsea Show and design their very own show garden feature for the RHS Main Avenue stand.
In order to be eligible to enter the competition, students must fulfil the following criteria.
- You must be aged 18 or over
- You must be able to demonstrate strong gardening and garden design skills
- Horticultural knowledge and design is important
- Anyone (with the exception of professional garden designers) may apply
- You must be available to film for a minimum of 10 days during the allocated filming period
- You may be at college studying or have completed a garden design course, but must not yet be working as a professional garden designer
To apply to enter the competition, please visit the BBC website and search for Designs on Chelsea competition.
You are required to submit the following along with your application form.
- A photo of a garden that you have designed.
- Two drawings (an overhead plan and artist’s impression from eye level) of a garden or plot measuring 10×12 metres
- A detailed explanation of the thinking behind your garden (up to 200 words maximum)
- Detailed plant list with approximate quantities
The closing date for this competition is: 20th June 2014.
Best of luck to all who enter and don’t forget to let us know how you get on!