Who should do this course?
This course is validated and awarded by our partner Staffordshire University, the Certificate will state 'Staffordshire University' and the Graduation ceremony is part of the Staffordshire University Awards Ceremony. The course is delivered by the National Design Academy via part-time online distance learning.
Anyone who is serious about becoming an interior designer who has an existing Foundation Degree or HND (or equivalent) in a relevant design subject may top-up to BA (Hons) Interior Design
Mature students with extensive experience in the Interior Design profession can also receive recognition through this qualification.
This Degree is validated and awarded by Staffordshire University.
If you have to juggle family commitments, full-time or part-time work and want the flexibility offered by studying part-time by distance learning, then this is the course for you.
The National Design Academy is listed within the 'listed bodies' of Recognised UK Degrees, ensuring your qualification is Nationally and Internationally recognised, please CLICK HERE for further information
Teaching and Learning
You can enrol at any time! The BA (Hons) Interior Design is studied part-time, by distance learning through our specially created Virtual Learning Studios (VLS) via the internet using your computer. Here you can access thousands of links to interior design information, mail your tutor direct, meet new friends and keep in touch through the Student Forum.
Everyone is different; most students take between 12-18 months to complete the BA (Hons) Interior Design. However, some students finish the course earlier and some take the maximum study time of 3 years.
Employability & progression
You can progress into a number of different areas including:
- Study route - A Masters Degree, PhD or access a host of graduate training programmes
- Career route - You can become a freelance designer, start your own domestic or commercial practice including the retail & hospitality industries or work as a qualified interior designer within an interior design or architectural practice. Other fields open to you will be interiors home staging, window display, show home designer, design journalism, exhibition designer, lighting designer, retail buyer for the design profession, interiors specifier, theatre or TV set design or teach interior design.
As the Degree is studied part-time, you can combine both study and career routes.
If you want to gain the BA (Hons) Interior Design, you will need to complete three modules. Modules 1 and 2 are worth 30 credits, with the independent study module worth 60 credits. You will be given 4 months to complete the first 2 modules and 8 months for the independent study project.
Module 1a - Hotel Design: Option 1
The Hotel Design Module investigates the interiors, services and styles of leading hotels around the world. From Boutique city centre hotels to private island resorts and old established Grand Hotels, the very best of international hotel interiors will be analysed along with the design practices responsible for those interiors.
Module 1b - Exhibition Design: Option 2
Exhibition design is a fascinating and diverse sector of interior design. Projects range from large public museums and private galleries to trade exhibition stands promoting products as diverse as motorbikes or cosmetics.
Module 2 - Research Study Project: Preparation & Completion
This Module includes the identification, planning and preparation of self-directed (with guidance) research study. You will look at ways in which the research study may be implemented including formatting, synthesis and presentation of text-based research.
If you exit at this point you would achieve BA Interior Design, however, most students progress to BA (Hons) Interior Design. To achieve this you will also need to complete a 60 Credit Independent Study Project.
Module 3 - Interior Design Project
This Final Project Module is delivered by independent study with guidance and support provided by the Tutors to develop your individual skills and areas of interest.
- Laptop, PC or Mac to access the course online via the VLS
- Broadband internet connection
- Internet browser: Internet Explorer 7 (or above) or Firefox
- Drawing pen and pencil
- Scale rule with 1:10, 1:20 and 1:50 scales (approx £8)
- Adjustable set-square (approx £16)
- Pastels, crayons, watercolours, etc.
- A3 paper
- A2 drawing board
- Recommended reading book list
All books, non-electronic equipment & other recommended equipment is available in our online Art Shop at special student prices.
£4750 per level
Course fees for BA (Hons) degrees
are paid per level
Monthly payment plan
10 × £475
£5500 per level
Pay in full today and save £100 per level!
Monthly payment plan
6 × £916.66
- I don't already have a BA or BSc
- I have a UK address and have lived in the UK for the whole of the last 3 years on a continuous basis
- I am an EU citizen who is domiciled in the UK